This is the official web site for Even Faster Web Sites.
About the Book
Even Faster Web Sites is a follow-up to my first book, High Performance Web Sites. Both books describe best practices for making web pages faster. If you're just starting off, read High Performance Web Sites first. It contains best practices that target gzip compression, caching, using a CDN, and more. Check out the full set of rules and examples on the HPWS companion site.
I wrote this follow-up book because the Web isn't standing still, waiting for us to catch up. Although the 14 rules from High Performance Web Sites still apply, the growth in web page content and Web 2.0 applications introduces a new set of performance challenges. Even Faster Web Sites provides the best practices needed by developers to make these next-generation web sites faster.
Good luck! Thanks for making the Web a faster place.
Web Performance Resources
- High Performance Web Sites - book #1, companion web site
- Even Faster Web Sites - book #2, companion web site
- EFWS and HPWS Blog Posts - one page summaries of each chapter in Even Faster Web Sites and High Performance Web Sites
- Velocity - web performance and operations conference from O'Reilly, I co-chair
- Stanford CS193H videos - lectures from the class I taught, 25 hours, $600
- UA Profiler - measures the performance traits of browsers
- Hammerhead - lightweight tool for timing web pages, Firefox plugin
- Cuzillion - tool for creating performance test cases
- YSlow - performance analysis tool (I created version 1.0), Firefox plugin
- Page Speed - performance analysis tool, Firefox plugin
- Exceptional Performance - performance advice from Yahoo! (I wrote the initial pages)
- Sprite Generator - tool for creating CSS sprite images
- HttpWatch - my favorite packet sniffer
- Firebug - web development tool, Firefox
- smush.it! - image optimization tool